Paul C. McAfee, M.D., a board certified Orthopaedic surgeon, opened the Scoliosis and Spine Center in 1991. Dr. McAfee concentrates particularly to correct spinal deformities and neurologic deficits through Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery.
Dr. McAfee supports the Spine Training Program at Johns Hopkins, Sinai Lifebridge, and University of Maryland, and has a traveling fellowship to teach other spine surgeons around the world. Dr. McAfee also heads the biomechanics laboratory and has conducted research and published extensively on biomechanics of the spine. He has been head of the Johns Hopkins spinal reconstructive surgery program and serves as Associate Professor of Orthopaedics, with a joint appointment in Neurosurgery.
The Scoliosis and Spine Center specializes in treating spine problems, including developmental difficulties, injuries, and chronic diseases.
Our philosophy is that the best patient care starts with thorough patient education on the causes of your disorder, the precise diagnosis, the array of treatment options, and long-term management. Our philosophy is ”A more educated Informed patient gets a Better Result” so Dr McAfee and his staff spend time explaining the treatment plan to his patients.
Because the spine interconnects with other body parts and organs, we practice a team approach to your total health care. We coordinate your care with other medical and surgical specialists such as internists, physiatrists, neurosurgeons, otolaryngologists, rheumatologists, neuroradiologists, and anaesthesiologists who specialize in spine surgery. Our Scoliosis and Spine Center team includes physicians and surgeons, physician’s assistants, physical therapists, nurse care managers, and other professionals to provide comprehensive health care.
The Scoliosis and Spine Center is affiliated with Towson Orthopaedic Associates, a large Baltimore-based group of orthopaedic surgeons. Orthopaedics is the branch of medicine that is concerned with conditions and diseases involving muscles, tendons, joints, ligaments, cartilage, and bones. Each group member specializes in a specific branch of orthopaedic medicine or surgery, providing the most current, thorough patient care.
Dr. McAfee performs about 400 spinal operations per year. He has privileges at several local hospitals but most surgeries are performed at Sinai Lifebridge and St. Joseph Medical Centers in Baltimore.
- UM St. Joseph Medical Center
- University of Maryland Medical Center
- Member of UM St. Joseph Medical Group
- Sinai Lifebridge
- Masters in Business Administration, Finance
Business Management, 2010
Ranked #25 EMBA Program Globally–“Wall Street Journal” 2009
Beta Gamma Sigma MBA Honor Society
Alpha Sigma Nu MBA Jesuit MBA Honor Society
Phi Kappa Phi Business Management Honor Society
New York, New York (August 2008- May 2010)
- State University of New York Upstate Medical University, 1978
- State University of New York-Downstate Medical, 1978
- University of Virginia School of Medicine, 1979
- University of Virginia Hospitals, 1979
- State University of New York Upstate Medical University, 1983
- Upstate Medical Center, 1983
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine – Reconstructive Surgery, 1984
- Case Western Reserve University – Spinal Cord Injury, 1984
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery – Orthopaedic Surgery, 1986
- 5.13.15—Dedication of the University of Maryland St Joseph Medical Library in name of Paul C McAfee, MD, MBA and Otto Brantigan, MD.
- US News and World Report- Top 1% of Physicians in the United States –1989 to Present.
America’s Most Compassionate Doctor’s Award 2012—Patient’s Choice Award. of 720,000 physicians in the United States only 3% were accorded this honor by their patients.
- Health Care Hero, Overall Winner 2005, The Daily Record, Maryland’s Business and Legal Newspaper since 1888.
Work/study program sponsored by Pebble Hill Presbyterian Church (Dewitt, New York) to Dominica, British West Indies, (June – August, 1970).
- Summer Service Scholarship Winner, United Presbyterian Church of the United States of America (1972) to Wales, England, France, Switzerland.
- Guest Speaker at the New Wilmington Missionary Conference
- High School Varsity Football and Varsity Wrestling, University of Rochester, Varsity Lacrosse.